Recipe: Squash and Sweet Potato Soup
This is a basic yet delicious soup recipe that also works well for baby food.
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 sweet potato, scrubbed, peeled and chopped
- 1 small white onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 32-ounce carton chicken broth
- salt, pepper, other seasonings to taste
- cream (optional)
1) Place squash in an oven-safe dish and prick several times with a knife or fork
2) Bake squash at 375 degrees for about an hour.
3) Allow squash to cool (you can use this time to chop other vegetables).
4) Once cooled, cut squash in half, remove seeds and scoop flesh out of the skin.
5) Melt butter in a large saucepan or Dutch oven.
6) Saute squash, sweet potato, onion, celery and carrot in butter for about five minutes.
7) Pour in enough chicken stock to cover vegetables.
8) Bring to a boil.
9) Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 40 minutes or until tender.
10) Allow to cool a little.
11) Puree soup in a blender.
12) Add additional chicken stock until desired consistency is reached.
13) Season to taste with salt, pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg, or whatever seasonings you desire.
14) Add cream if desired for a cream-style soup.
For baby food, feed to baby as is (reduce amount of extra liquid for thicker puree) or freeze in ice cube trays and thaw as necessary.